two pairs of smooth jawed chain nose, flat nose, or bent nose pliers
For project supplies, go to
1. Link four closed rings A with one ring A. Position the rings as shown in the left hand picture, making sure that you orientate the rings in exactly the same way.
Weave one open silver ring through the lower left hand ring and through the lower right hand ring. Add two closed silver rings before closing the jump ring (centre picture).
Repeat until the chain has sixty three centre rings (right hand picture). When you add the pony beads and the edge rings, this will shorten the chain length slightly.
2. The rings added in this step are shown in red for clarity. In this step you are making a diagonal end to the chain.
At the end of the chain, weave one open silver ring A through the lower left hand ring and through the lower right hand ring as in step 1 but add only one closed ring A.
3. Repeat steps 1-2 to make a second chain the same length as the first chain.
4. In steps 4-5 you will join the two chains on the bias - this will mean your necklace will lay better when worn.
Lay the two chains side by side as shown with the rings orientated in the same way (left hand picture).
Turn over the left hand chain so that the chains are a mirror image, as shown in the centre picture.
Move both chains so that they meet to form a V-shape. You will notice that the direction of the rings on both chains is the same (right hand picture).
5. The rings added in this step are shown in red for clarity.
Place one closed ring A between the lowest rings of each chain.
Weave one ring A through the lowest right hand ring, the centre closed ring A just added, and the lowest left hand ring. Close the ring A and reposition the chains on your workmat (centre picture).
This is perhaps the most difficult ring to add as the rings have somehow moved after you have picked up the working piece to close the ring. Lay the left hand chain down and position the centre ring added in the beginning of this step so that it overlays the lowest left hand ring. You may have to turn the right hand chain in a full circle to orientate the lowest right hand chain into place.
Weave one ring through the ring just added and the top rings on either side.
6. You will be adding the pony beads to the lower edge of the necklace in steps 6-7.
Identify the ring that is the point of the necklace and leave one ring next to it. Using one ring B, weave through the next three edge rings of your chain, add one pony bead and close the jump ring (left hand picture).
Repeat on the opposite side. There should now be three empty rings between the two pony beads added (right hand picture).
7. Using one ring B each time, join sets of three edge rings, adding one pony bead, along the lower edge of the chains. Add nineteen pony beads in total to each side of the necklace. You will have some lower rings that have not had any rings added - you will add these rings in step 10.
8. In steps 8-9 you will be adding rings to the upper edge of the necklace, using the smaller rings A.
Identify the centre upper ring of the chain. Using one ring A, weave through the next three edge rings of your chain and close the jump ring. Check that you have joined the opposing sets of three rings to the lower edge pony beaded ring (left hand picture).
Repeat on the opposite side. There should now be one empty ring between the rings just added (right hand picture).
9. Continue linking rings A in the same way along the upper edge of the chain until you have reached the end. If you find you have not made the chain long enough, add rings as in step 1.
10. Using one ring C, link the three empty rings at the point of your necklace, add one pony bead and close the jump ring.
11. Finish off the lower edge of the chain at each end of the chain, by linking three sets of edge rings with one ring A without adding a pony bead.
12. Attach the toggle ring and toggle bar to each end using one ring A each time.
Use a different coloured jump ring as the centre joining ring in step 1 to match or contrast with the pony beads.
For a monochrome look, try black rings with white opal or opaque white beads.
This necklace can also be made using copper, bronze, jewellers brass or stainless steel.