Make a stretchy Interwoven 4-1 weave bangle using EPDM rubber o-rings - the two sides of the weave differ to give slightly different looks. Interwoven 4-1 is essentially two lengths of European 4-1 joined together and is a weave by Phong.
You will need:
60 purple EPDM rubber o-rings, id 7.9mm, 1.63mm (rd8-64pprb)
The EPDM rubber o-rings come in nine different colours.
two pairs of smooth jawed chain nose, flat nose, or bent nose pliers
For project supplies, go to
1. Link one ice pink jump ring through four o-rings. Lay out the rings exactly as shown.
2. Weave one ice pink jump ring up through the bottom left-hand o-ring and down through the bottom right-hand o-ring (from step 1). Add two more o-rings before closing the ice pink jump ring. Continue adding o-rings in this way until the band fits your wrist. This is European 4-1.
3. Bring the two ends of the weave together. The LH side is the end of the weave and the RH side is the start of the weave. Lay the LH end on top of the RH end.
4. The jump ring used to join the two ends of the weave is shown in red for clarity.
Weave one ice pink jump ring up through the two lower end o-rings, down through the upper end o-rings and close the jump ring. Before continuing, make sure your work is facing the correct side up with the ring orientation matching the picture. This band of European 4-1 will be referred to as the main band.
5. In the following six steps the o-rings are shown in yellow and the jump rings are shown in red for clarity.
Weave one ice pink jump ring through two purple o-rings of the main band and link two more o-rings before closing.
6. Weave one ice pink jump ring through the two o-rings on the main band directly opposite the purple o-rings to which you attached the ice pink jump ring in the previous step. Continue to weave this new jump ring through the same two o-rings added in the previous step.
7. Weave one ice pink jump ring through the next o-ring along on the main band, the adjacent o-ring to the left already linked in the previous steps and the right-hand o-ring also added in the previous step. Add one o-ring before closing the ice pink jump jump ring.
8. Weave one ice pink jump ring through the two o-rings on the main band directly opposite the purple o-rings to which you attached the ice pink jump ring in the previous step. Continue to weave this new ring through the same purple o-rings as in the previous step.
9. Repeat steps 7-8 to continue adding jump rings and o-rings. Each of the o-rings on the main band and each of the o-rings added will have two jump rings linked through them.
10. Finish adding rings when you arrive back at the start, leaving the last two o-rings unjoined.
11. The rings added in steps 11 and 12 are shown in green for clarity.
Weave one ice pink jump ring up through the left-hand unjoined edge o-ring, the centre two unjoined o-rings and down through the right-hand unjoined o-ring. Close the jump ring.
12. Repeat step 11, weaving one ice pink jump ring down through the two edge o-rings opposite and the same two centre o-rings as in step 11.
Use a rainbow or pastel mix of colours with black o-rings.
Try making the cuff using a different coloured o-ring for steps 5-12.
Use a dark coloured jump ring, such as red, with a white o-ring.