Use your 'BACK' button to return to this page
Learn a Weave
Make a chain using a simple chain maille component that can be made into a long or short necklace, a spectacles chain or a bracelet.
For a long 70cm necklace, you will need (each necklace repeat measures 2cm):
Ice blue / Black Ice Necklace
- 350 small ice black anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 5mm, 1.2mm - A (rd4-50saliblk)
- 140 small ice blue anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 5mm, 1.2mm - B (rd4-50salibl)
- 35 medium ice black anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 5.9mm, 1.2mm - C (rd5-50aliblk)
- 35 large purple anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 10.2mm, 1.6mm - D (rd10-64salpp)
Red / Black Necklace
- 280 small gold anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 5mm, 1.2mm - A (rd4-50salgld)
- 140 small red anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 5mm, 1.2mm - B (rd4-50salrd)
- 35 medium gold anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 5.9mm, 1.2mm - C (rd5-50algld)
- 35 large black anodised aluminium saw cut jump rings, id 10.2mm, 1.6mm - D (rd10-64salblk)
- two pairs of smooth jawed chain nose, flat nose, or bent nose pliers
For project supplies, go to
Using one medium gold ring C, link eight closed small gold rings A. Lay out the rings as shown.
Weave one large black ring D through the eight small gold rings A, ensuring that you have four small rings on each side.
Link one small red ring B through four of the small gold rings A, making sure that the red ring is positioned towards the centre of the component.
Weave one small red ring B through the opposite four small gold rings A and under the red ring B added in the last step. Close the red ring B.
Turn over the component and repeat steps 4-5 on the other side.
Make thirty five of these components in total (or fewer if you wish to make a shorter necklace with a clasp).
Using two small gold rings A each time, join the components by weaving through the central pair of small gold rings A of each group of four rings.
Continue linking the components until the chain is the desired length. Repeat step 6 to join the end components to make a continuous chain or add a clasp.
- Make single components and attach beads or lengths of fine chain for a matching pair of earrings.
- Mix the interlinked component with captive pearls. We have a free tutorial, here
- Use the pastel or rainbow mixes for the small rings B and for the large rings D, and a neutral base colour like silver, gold, black ice or champagne, for the other rings.