two pairs of smooth jawed chain nose, flat nose, or bent nose pliers
For project supplies, go to
Each wave is made up of three captured beads attached to one pair of central rings (B).
1. Link two closed large rings (A) and two closed rings (B) with two large rings (A). The four large rings (A) are the rings used to capture the bead. The two rings (B) will be the central rings of the finished component.
2. Before you begin capturing the beads, it is worth opening some small rings (D) so that they are available to hold the captured bead in place.
Open out the two pairs of large rings (A) between your thumb and forefinger and insert one bead (left hand picture).
Trap the bead by joining the last pair of large rings with one small ring (D) - (centre and right hand picture).
3. Link two pairs of rings (A) to the central rings (B) - (left hand picture).
Repeat step 2 to capture a second bead (centre picture).
Link the two small rings (D), which are trapping the beads, with two small rings (D) - (right hand picture). Add a second small ring (D) to the last captive bead cage added.
4. Repeat step 3 to add a third bead to the central rings (B). Do not add a second small ring (D).
5. You will now create the next wave by adding a new pair of central rings (B) onto which you will link three captured beads.
Using one ring (C), link two rings (B) to the last captive bead cage added (left hand picture).
Link two pairs of large rings (A) to the central rings (B) just added. (central picture).
Use one small ring (D) to trap the bead and link this cage to the previous pair of central rings (B) - (right hand picture).
6. Repeat steps 3-4 to complete the wave with three captured beads.
7. Repeat step 5-6 until you have captured 20 beads as below - the last wave has only two captive beads.
Repeat steps 1-7 to make a second length of captive beads.
Lay the captive bead lengths as shown with the last wave of two captive beads on the right hand side. Remove the two small rings (D) at the point shown by the arrow - these will be joined in step 9.
8. Lay the two captive bead lengths side by side with the last wave of two captive beads at the top (left hand picture).
Turn over the left hand length so that it is a mirror image of the right hand length (right hand picture).
9. You will now join the two lengths.
Using two rings (C), join the four loose small rings (D) from step 7 - shown in the top part of the picture in red.
Join the last two caged beads at the bottom part of the two lengths with one ring (C) - shown in the bottom part of the picture.
10. You will need two lengths of chain 16.5cm long. Using one ring E each time, link the chain to the last two caged bead rings.
11. Open the last link of one of the stainless steel chain lengths and attach the lobster clasp.
The darker or bright pearl colours have the most impact, for instance, black, red, hot pink.
For a striking effect use white pearls with gold or black ice rings.
Use different shades of the same colour for a graduated look.